Leaving Atheism, 1 Corinthians 13:11

"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways." 
When I say I'm leaving atheism this doesn't mean I'm a believer now. Far from belief, and it is not amendable. I'm leaving what has become a movement of malicious thought. I'm not alone in my purposeful removal. Atheists have become comfortable defining their atheism by constant attack or discussion of religion. Atheist parents pages and similar are nothing more than hateful dissection of posts by Christians on their pages. People who have let them peer into their world, belief systems and everyday life. They take these posts that I know are shared with much love, particularly ones regarding their love for their children, and they tear at this love. They twist meanings into perverted, menacing, and creepy ideas. They comment with cruel jokes and insults. Atheists aren't alone in this type of behavior - Christians, Muslims, etc, do same and even write me sadistic messages.

But I'm not a Christian, Muslim, etc... I'm a non believer. So when my "community" is not one I feel conducive to helping me grow mentally, emotionally as a wife, mother and woman, what use are they to me? I'm not a closeted atheist. I have paid the price of being a vocal atheist. I'm living my life - not defined by an atheism that has become a movement that mirrors the same behaviors as fanatical theists. I'm living a life that has many purposes and want none of them to be rooted in lack of compassion, fanaticism or zealotry. There is a political force within atheism - mainly left, that is harmful to intellectual inquiry and pursuit of truths. Surely the right has its flaws, but I'm not a conservative, or at least on many issues, so my concern is for the left, or the "new left." A new left that has become as close minded, historically illiterate and lacking intellectual competence as the right. In our journey to end racism, inequality, environmentalism, etc., we've become ignorant and disingenuous. Hateful. Racist. Intolerant. In our attempt to establish anti-racism we've promulgated the idea that skin pigment alone is a determination for privilege. That regardless of another beings ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, geographical location and the many filters of our various caste systems - white alone is a determination for privilege. Worse, we deny the reality of the many cultures around the globe and focus exclusively on America. We care more for "pure" crops than we do the humans who need the food. We care more for lions we never heard of prior, than we do the humans dying of hunger around them. Atheism is becoming more and more the movement of science denialism. We have extremists who silence inquiry. On the other side we have people who promote systems lacking compassion and economic inequality. People who hate.

So I'm leaving the movement. I'm leaving the communities. I'm quitting the blog I write under my alter ego. You have nothing to offer me that will nourish me as a human striving to be good. This doesn't mean I won't interact with other atheists - it means I won't accept childish, hateful, bigoted pages, forums etc., anymore in my feeds. 



No comments:

Post a Comment