Meme of Necessity



I was asked,"What does it feel like to be an atheist?"
As if by rejection of a meme I lose my strength, weakness, hatred, peace, insecurity or optimistic pessimism.
As if by dismissal of a meme I am no longer bound to the human condition of want, need of the intimacy I share with my child as he looks into my eyes.
But without God - they say, "How do you love?"
To which I reply, "How does one not love? What empty place does your definition of humanity inhabit that one cannot have love - feel love, without acceptance of a meme?"
Where do you get this love you possess that told you in hostile darkness that I cannot love?
That I must be sad.
Lost.
Desolate.
Am I studying a holy book, like grains of sand upon a beach of doubt - year after year, hoping for a different message to make life clear?
Is it me who needs to think I have special purpose - or if no meme, I have no purpose at all?
How can those thoughts be happiness?
That you have - and I cannot, because I don't share your meme.
But without God, they say, "How do you have morals?"
To which I reply,"I don't. My guidance is compassion. Morals can be used for good or acts of aberration.
Understanding I hurt, I don't hurt.."
I know not to hurt, while you rush to memorize and repeat a scripture, not quite remembering the chapter or verse, I've already shared my compassion, grown and taught through example.
You are haunted by the numbers, those pages - forever needing to type them out, to make them evident - to punish those with ...
each.

click.
of.
your.
keys.
To regurgitate and spat - even if useless, irrelevant or cruel by comparison of compassion.
You'll cling to empty words - no intent to feel their pain.
Just words - words in a chapter, within a verse.
You'll use yours to oppress, and I will use mine to lift.
You will say what one cannot do, based on a meme.
While I example empathy for our human fragility and show compassion as freedom.
We are opposites.
There is space for you and your meme of human necessity.
Your necessity, not mine.
Keep in mind...
Those of us who make love a purpose can endure our divides.
We can entwine.

No comments:

Post a Comment